Friday, September 19, 2008

The kind of teacher I am

It's 6pm on Friday and I just learned while IMing a friend that today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. I am devastated because this would have made today's classes not just good, not great, but some unparalleled level of awesome. Sigh.

When I posted this woeful news in my Gchat status bar I realized I wasn't the only one who was taken by surprise by this unsung holiday:

Kim: Is it really talk like a pirate day?!
Paul: Yes!
Kim: Oh shit
Paul: I know!!

Maybe that I do so much stuff like this in class is the reason why I laughed so hard when I saw this. It's funny because it's true. I've thought about how a combination of being kind of outside the culture already while occupying a teaching position as flexible as conversation practice instructor has encouraged me to be really zany with the students. I've also thought about how maybe I'm just one of those weird teachers.

7 comments:

Gaby said...

I think your students are probably better off that you didn't know until it was too late...

Paul said...

Avast ye wench!

Roy said...

I can totally see you acting out that comic. What a fun class!

Anonymous said...

Say what? Anything wrong with celbrationg a week or a month after the fact - chances are no one else knew the date either.
Go for it man!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

OK, this might sound a bit weird.... I'm a communication PR student in Perth, Australia madly working on my final event management assignment. I was searching for winter wonderland themed images for my assignment when I bumped into your blog ( Ski Break..picture). Szia Szentes. Well, I was born in Szentes and lived in Mindszent and Szeged. My cousin lives in Szentes and the rest of my family in Mindszent. Ha, it is a small world after all...:):)

Legyen szep napod

Cheers
Gabi

Alina Harway said...

Ummmm, how did this holiday take you by surprise? You and I celebrated it together freshman year of college.....

Unknown said...

Hehe saw this NYT article and it made me think of this post: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/fashion/26pirates.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin arrsome!